"Democratic Rules of Order" by Francis and Francis

  • 26 Jan 2017 4:53 PM
    Message # 4570775

    Does anyone have any practical experience with this book as a parliamentary authority?  Its simplicity and brevity are attractive, but I'd like to hear from groups that have actually used it (Google hasn't been much help in that regard).

    Others' impressions are welcome, too.

    Thanks
    Neil

  • 27 Jan 2017 8:42 AM
    Reply # 4571509 on 4570775
    Neil Marsh wrote:

    Does anyone have any practical experience with this book as a parliamentary authority?  Its simplicity and brevity are attractive, but I'd like to hear from groups that have actually used it (Google hasn't been much help in that regard).

    Others' impressions are welcome, too.

    Thanks
    Neil

    I have not seen this book and would not mind looking through it. Could it be available through Amazon? I will try and find it and maybe comment on it. If something has brevity and clarity it bears looking into. Paul 
  • 27 Jan 2017 12:04 PM
    Reply # 4571966 on 4570775

    I believe it is, and there's a PDF out there as well.  I'm on my way out the door, but I think it's on their website at http://democraticrules.com

    Cheers!
    Neil

  • 28 Jan 2017 4:26 PM
    Reply # 4573483 on 4570775

    I found some on Amazon books and ordered one. They are inexpensive so I will add it to my collection and read thru it when it arrives. Then do a book report. Also will check out site suggested. Paul 

  • 13 Jun 2017 2:29 AM
    Reply # 4897931 on 4573483
    Kay Crews (Administrator)
    Paul Crawford wrote:

    I found some on Amazon books and ordered one. They are inexpensive so I will add it to my collection and read thru it when it arrives. Then do a book report. Also will check out site suggested. Paul 

    Paul, did you get the book? If you haven't yet done a book report, that would be a great addition to the Parliamentary Journal. Contact the editor at pjeditor@aipparl.org!
  • 14 Jun 2017 8:01 AM
    Reply # 4899758 on 4897931
    Paul Crawford
    Kay Crews wrote:
    Paul Crawford wrote:

    I found some on Amazon books and ordered one. They are inexpensive so I will add it to my collection and read thru it when it arrives. Then do a book report. Also will check out site suggested. Paul 

    Paul, did you get the book? If you haven't yet done a book report, that would be a great addition to the Parliamentary Journal. Contact the editor at pjeditor@aipparl.org!
    I did get the book. It is short, concise and an excellent starter book. Buy it before the larger Roberts or Standard then get one of them later. It has the same weakness as the larger manuals in that it "seems" to agree that debate can be cut off before every voting member, who wishes to speak, has spoken. ie Previous Question's 2/3 vote. They need to clarify that. 
    Paul

© Copyright - American Institute of Parliamentarians
618 Church Street, Suite 520, Nashville, TN 37219

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software